I had a mole removed back in September...one my lower back. I thought about calling Dr. Kelly to see what was what since I hadn't heard from her, but time passed and I forgot. I didn't go back to see her 7 days after the surgery to have the stitches taken out because Allen removed them...maybe I should have, it may have prompted her to take a look at the report. She called me last week saying she was the "delinquency police." I thought I had missed an appointment. She was calling to set up another biopsy of the area because the cells looked "funny." Ugh...what the heck does THAT mean? So I saw her yesterday and got to look at the report. Apparently my cells have such comedic value that they were sent for a consult from the doctor at Milton Hospital Pathology Department to the Skin Pathology Lab at Boston University...yup, that's how I roll....or at least my cells do! So what did the report say? Well...it said Lentiginous compound melanocytic nevus with severe atypia. HUH?? From what i've read, it means a mole whose appearance is different from that of common moles.
I'd get dizzy if I read all the literature "out there" but from what I understand and "According to the National Cancer Institute, researchers have shown that atypical moles are more likely than ordinary moles to develop into a type of skin cancer called melanoma. It is worth noting that the vast majority of atypical moles will never become malignant."
So I asked Dr. Kelly, "what if this biopsy says my cells are 'funny' too?" Her answer? We do another biopsy.
Ok, so now we wait. Allen will take out my stitches again....but I will call her next week for the results.
1 comment:
too bad this blog is inactive...was good stuff
Post a Comment