Monday, February 02, 2009

Monday Monday...

Where did January go? It was a busy month with 2 birthdays in this house...plus Stevie...but there is a BIG birthday this month...and I can't believe it! Little Drew Drew is going to be ONE on February 24th. Never mind where has January gone.....where has a WHOLE YEAR gone? I type this with tears in my eyes. It was such a long road to get to February 24th last year...bed rest from 24 weeks on (ya right, did i ever rest in bed except at night? who can do that with 2 other little ones in the house?)...SO many times back and forth to South Shore and every time thinking THIS is going to be the day...but its too early was always such a huge concern. Finally that day came. FINALLY we got to meet our new little boy. I knew that morning about 1am that we were about to welcome Andrew but I didn't tell anyone. I stuck it out until about 10 am until I couldn't hide it anymore. I tried to act so casual. Maureen came over on record time and was as nervous as I was, but I couldnt let it show. When we got to the hospital I was told "nope, not yet" but we (he and I) knew differently. The doc told me to walk around. That was not something I wanted to hear. Poor Allen had to hold my hand while walking the halls and stopping to glance (ok stare) at the babies (mostly boys) in the nursery. Then the contractions would start again and Allen went from holding my hand to holding me up! When we were told that I could go from triage to the birthing room I nearly jumped out of my skin, but Andrew would not come for a few hours yet. Allen says time and time again that if it wasn't for him, I'd never had delivered the 3 of them at all. Truth be told I DO NOT LIKE PAIN! The epidural was amazing and everything seemed right in the world except for one thing...my little guy wasn't here yet! Abby and Aidan were at Gram's and everyone was on high alert. I had some popsicles, a nap and watch a lot of Law and Order. Then I felt it...the epidural was staring to wear off just as it had with Abby...but only on one side, the left side...it was time. I'll spare the rest except to say that I've never been happier (well, ok i was just as happy and relieved an excited to see Abby and Aidan too) to see the little boy who is now known to us as Andrew Joseph (or Drewga or Quackaberry, or Drew Drew, NOT ANDY...the names are endless...its amazing he knows his true name). My first question, though anxious tears, was"is he ok?" He had 10 fingers and 10 toes and wasn't AT ALL effected from all that hoopla that had gone on the whole 40 weeks he hung out with me. And now...now its a year later and I feel the same joy as I did that day. He is so beautiful and smart and fresh (he yells at me) and just amazing. All 3 of my children are a gift from God. I look in their faces and they bring me such joy. On my hardest days, they make me smile.
I am jumping around in this blog but I'm just typing as i think.
I can hear Abby and Aidan arguing and then I hear Andrew adding his 2 cents...
Sometimes it seems like only yesterday he came into our lives and then again, it seems like he has always been here.
He is so loved, as they all are, i don't mean to focus on him more than the other 2. He is so loved by so many people, and I know he loves each and every one of those people. Sure, he has his favorites...and you know who you are (Ma...) but this "beautiful baby boy" as his daddy calls him, has a most infectious smile for everyone he meets!
A whole year has passed...I look back and cry with the memories he has made and I look ahead and can only wonder what the years ahead will bring...

No comments: